Have you ever wondered what it means that we are created in the image of God? It’s remarkable how from the very beginning to the very end of the Bible’s storyline, the purpose of humanity has been tied up with one simple concept: Bearing God’s image.
If you haven’t thought much about it, I’d encourage you to. It strikes at the heart of why you were created, why you are unhappy with so many of the things you do, and why it always feels like were created for more. This reality is what can give us joy, meaning, and purpose. It’s why the Father made us, why the Son redeemed us, and what the Spirit is actively doing right now in your life if you’re a Christian.
Here are some quick hits from various stages in the Bible’s storyline reminding us that we have been created for something meaningful: We have been created to look like God.
- Gen 1 26 Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.” … 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
- Gen 5 1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. When God created man, he made him in the likeness of God. 2 Male and female he created them, and he blessed them and named them Man when they were created. 3 When Adam had lived 130 years, he fathered a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth.
- Lev 11 44 For I am the Lord your God. Consecrate yourselves therefore, and be holy, for I am holy.
- John 14 8 Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.
- Col 1 15 [Jesus] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.
- Heb 1 1 Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. 3 He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature….
- 2Cor 3 18 And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.
- Rom 8 28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. 29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.
- 1John 3 2 Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when [Jesus] appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.